Recently it’s become increasingly common for nursing facilities, nursing homes and assisted-living facilities to hire the services of a specialist cleaning company. There is an array of reasons for this; some of them being that it’s economically viable, more environmentally friendly, and has proven to improve the health of residents by reducing infection rates.
Here’s how you would benefit by hiring these professional services.
- These facilities are different from normal office buildings. They rank as high as medical facilities for HAI’s. These types of facilities can become a breeding ground for bacteria and infectious diseases if you do not sanitize them properly.
- It’s imperative for nursing facilities to use professional cleaners that know how to sanitize and reduce the spread of germs, as residents (seniors) with weakened immune systems are more prone to infections.
- You’d be saving a considerable amount of money, as you will not need to cater for additional staff on your payroll. You do not need to spend anything on training a cleaning staff.
- The morale of your residents will improve when accidents are cleaned up fast and efficiently by a cleaning specialist. This is especially true since residents are usually frail and prone to more spills and cleaning emergencies.
- Ordinary cleaning staff may not be fully equipped to handle the type of cleaning required for nursing facilities. They may just have a spotter, window cleaners, furniture polish, and an all-purpose cleaner. If you hire a specialist, you’re likely to get cleaners who use disinfectants and special cleaning solutions specifically made to combat infections resulting from Vancomycin-Resistant Enterococcus (VRE) and Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus (MRSA) bacteria strains.
- A professional cleaning service is also able to identify areas that are more prone to infections. These include places in nursing facilities where the most contact has been made with bacteria and blood pathogens. Cleaning specialists would usually pay attention to high-touch places such as light switches, bedding, railings, door handles, and ledges.
- Specialist cleaners are trained to wear the necessary protective clothing, and not hiring a specialist cleaning company could cost you money. The reason being is that untrained non-specialist cleaners are more prone to taking sick leave if they pick up an infection. You would then have to spend money to hire more cleaners.
Specialist floor care and cleaning is equally important in nursing facilities. Here trained cleaners are useful, as they know how to promote the safest cleaning methods. Finishes applied to hard floors must be slip-resistant, as any fall could be detrimental to already frail residents.
If your facility has carpets, extra care is needed, as carpets are prone to dust mites and germs too. Specialist cleaners normally use vacuum cleaners with high filtration systems, in addition to reduced-moisture hot water extraction systems. This in turn this preserves the quality of the air in your facility, which is great for the environment. Also, recent research conducted by Cornell University and Dr. M. Berry previously from the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) revealed that the quality of air over carpeting was more environmentally friendly than air over floors.
- Hiring the services of specialist cleaners is important for facility owners, as it has financial, environmental and health benefits for your residents and staff.
- Residents in nursing homes are frail and more prone to infections caused by poor cleaning.
- Specialist cleaners are better equipped to combat the spread of infections with their specialized disinfectants and chemical solutions.
- Cleaning specialists can handle cleaning emergencies faster and more effectively.
- Professionals are trained to target areas commonly infected by bacteria, such as doorknobs, beds, and light switches.
- Specialists are less likely to get sick from bacteria, as they are trained on protective gear.
- It’s more environmentally friendly to hire professionals to clean carpets.