Five Tips For Kid Proofing Your Cleaning Supplies In The Laundry Room
The laundry room is not used as much as the bathroom, but the cleaning supplies used in there are just as dangerous when little kids get their hands on them. Don’t stop at childproofing your kitchen cleaners, go one step further and childproof the laundry room supplies too. Here are five tips for childproofing your laundry room.
- Keep the laundry room supplies up off the floor and keep the door closed. Put your cleaning supplies in a cupboard above the washer and dryer. If you don’t have a door to your laundry room, then get a baby gate and section off that area of the basement.
- Keep your cleaning detergents, fabric softeners and dryer sheets in their original containers. This will help to eliminate the confusion of what’s in the container. Make sure the covers are on tight at all times.
- Storing items on the top of the washer and dryer can easily shake items loose and fall onto the floor. Don’t store your cleaning supplies on the top of your washer or dryer.
- The laundry room is not the playroom. Don’t store kids toys and playthings in this area. You don’t want children using the laundry room as a playroom and get into the cleaners or crawl into the dryer or washer.
- Always close the washer and dryer door when you are not using them. Check your machines before you push the start button too. We once had a cat accidentally crawl into the dryer onto the warm towels and a few minutes later heard the cat crying. Thankfully the cat was fine, but it taught us never to leave the dryer door open.