We all dread it each year; eventually, it happens; one of the family members gets the flu and then everyone is exposed to it. You hope that no-one else gets it, but it eventually everyone gets it. The CDC (Center for Disease Control) calls it Influenza, a respiratory illness that if untreated can kill some people each year. The flu most commonly spreads through direct contact or contact with surfaces where a person has coughed, sneezed or even in the air when you talk to someone that has been infected. It typically takes up to 7 days before you begin to feel the symptoms of the flu. Here are some practical residential cleaning services tips to protect your home from the flu.
1. Get a Flu Shot
Most health experts will tell you that one of the best ways to stay protected from the flu is to get the influenza vaccine each year. Currently, there are three primary vaccines of the flu vaccine. The flu shot: a direct injection, the high-dose flu shot and the nasal spray for those that are not to fond of needles. It is recommended in children six months or older and people that are over the ages of 65, because if infected it can be fatal.
2. Cover your cough!
Flu germs are spread through the air. When you cough little droplets of saliva are sent out of your mouth at the rate of 100mph and a range of 30 feet. That is a lot of area a single sneeze can cover with the influenza strain. If you got the flu or have to be around someone that has the flu, get a mask and cover your mouth. This will drastically reduce the chance of spreading the flu.
3. No Touchy
I know it sounds weird, but when you are sick, you really should limit your contact with everyone. Avoid touching your mouth, eyes and nose. The influenza strain can live on a surface for up to eight hours, thus infecting anyone that touches that surface. That is one of the main reasons why it is so easy to get and spread the flu at home and work. If you are the only person in your house or everyone is sick with the flu, try contacting a residential cleaning services company that specializes in disinfecting and sanitizing surfaces to kill the virus in your home. Did you know that people touch their face on an average of 3.3 times per hour; that is thousands of times per day!
4. Wash your hands
One of the best ways to guard against the spread of germs is to wash your hands on a regular basis. Stock up on soap and hand sanitizers for the upcoming flu season. There is a proper way to wash your hands.
- Wet your hands with warm running water
- Get a bar of soap or liquid soap and lather well
- Rub your hands together for 20-30 seconds and get inbetween the fingers and all over your hands. Get under the finger nails too, this is a great place for germs to hide.
- Next, rinse well with warm running water until all of the lather is gone.
- Now, dry your hands with paper towels or a blow dryer.
- Last, try not to touch the door handle on the way out of a public bathroom
- Clean and disinfect your home before the flu season gets into full swing.
- If someone in your home gets the flu, use Benefect to safely disinfect your home.
- Wear face masks to stop the spread of the flu in your home
- Keep the infected person to one room if possible.
Do you need a janitorial expertise?
Call 603-448-2834 or to be contacted by a cleaning expert please click the button.